Friday, March 9, 2018

Book Review: Lullaby Road by James Anderson

I love a good thriller, and Lullaby Road by James Anderson is unlike any other I've read. It's a beautifully woven tale that moves at its own pace but keeps pulling you in with each turn of the page.

*Disclaimer: This book was sent to See, Shop, Love! via Blogging for Books.


The novel follows Ben Jones, a delivery man and long-haul trucker, during winter on Route 117 in the deserts of Utah. He's entrusted with the care of a small child (with another baby coming into the picture soon after) whose origins are not entirely clear.

What I loved most about this book is how beautiful the imagery was. I truly felt immersed in the setting, as if I was in Ben's truck with him as he went along his delivery route and interacted with all the eccentric people of the desert.


Since this book was classified as a thriller I was expecting a mystery or dramatic storyline to grab me from the get go, but that doesn't happen here. That's not to say that this book wasn't interesting, though. I just want to let it be known that if you're looking for an action-packed story this one will deliver, but just not at the speed you may be used to.

I think the pace perfectly fits the book. Meeting each character and going through the small subplots makes it feel more realistic. The climax comes towards the very end and it is gripping and disturbing. If you find yourself getting frustrated while reading this because you aren't sure where it's going, just keep reading, because the end is well worth the time.


I thoroughly enjoyed this book. James Anderson's writing is eloquent in its simplicity, and as previously stated, the imagery is beautiful. I've never been to the desert, but I could picture the open road and the small, run down towns that Ben visits clearly in my mind.
Bottom Line: Lullaby Road is a different kind of thriller, and it's refreshing. I highly recommend this book and I think anyone who likes a book that challenges you will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.