Monday, July 20, 2015

July Birchbox Review

I was a little disappointed with the sample choice options for July's Birchbox. Usually the items available are varied, but this month subscribers had the option of choosing one of three shades of a Stila liquid lipstick. What if I don't want a liquid lipstick? Meh, anyway, my box was still decent overall.

*Disclaimer: This box was purchased by See, Shop, Love! Post contains referral links.


I liked the design of the box this month. I definitely remember them saying in a YouTube video that we should save our boxes for the entire year because if we do there would be something at the end of the year for us. I hope they keep that promise because I have a collection of seven boxes under my bed collecting dust...


I was pleased with my samples this month. Like I said, I was indifferent over the Stila lipstick, but I ended up putting it to good use. I opted for the coral shade because I figured if I didn't pick then they'd send me a color I didn't want, so since I was doomed to get one anyway I wanted to at least get a shade I would use.


  • Stila Look at Me Liquid Lipstick ($6.67 for .05 fl oz) - This actually comes as a trio that was made just for Birchbox. I chose the "Venizia" shade, which is a super bright coral. The other options were Bella (pink) and Beso (red). I already have Beso from a previous box and I don't wear pinks, so Venizia was the obvious choice. I love a coral lip. I normally don't wear lip colors that are so highly pigmented, but I recently performed in a gala concert so I wore this to it (see photo at right). It really does stay put! I had to reapply it a few times here and there, but overall the color doesn't fade very much at all.
  • COOLA SPF 30 Makeup Setting Spray ($7.20 for .34 fl oz) - I love setting sprays and this also came at a perfect time for the gala! It did a decent job of keeping my makeup from melting off -- the bright lights on stage are going to make any face sweat -- and it also didn't smell horrible. I associate any kind of sun protection product with a wonky smell, but this one is nice. It has green tea and aloe and broad spectrum SPF protection.
  • Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hairspray ($3.63 for 1 fl oz) - I also loved this product and used it for my gala look. It smells really good and gave my hair enough texture and hold that my curls didn't completely fall during the show. It moisturizers hair, too. I would definitely consider buying a full-sized bottle of this.
  • Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Liquid ($2.34 for .3 fl oz) - This was the only item in my box that I didn't like and had no use for. It's a moisturizer for very dry skin and I have very oily skin. I posted it up for swap because it wasn't worth even trying for me.
  • Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic Spritzer ($3.73 for 1 fl oz) - I like Liz Earle because their products are made with natural ingredients and they're Leaping Bunny certified as cruelty-free. This has aloe vera, calendula, cucumber, and natural source vitamin E. You spray it on your face for an "instantly refreshing, reviving boost." I love it, especially for hot summer days when I need a spritz of something to refresh my skin! I will most likely end up buying a full-sized bottle of this.
Bottom Line: My July Birchbox had an approximate retail value of $23.57, which I think is pretty good for a $10 box. I liked almost everything and was able to put the samples to good use for my concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.