Wednesday, June 12, 2019

June Book of the Month Review

I re-activated by subscription to Book of the Month back in May but just received my first box in June. I'm excited to get back into the swing of receiving a new book every month!

*Disclaimer: This box was purchased by See, Shop, Love! Post contains referral links.


Book of the Month costs $14.99 per month for one book and extra books are only $9.99 each. Shipping is free to U.S. addresses (currently this subscription is only available in the U.S.).

The team at Book of the Month selects five new releases to feature and you'll be able to choose the book you'd like to receive. If you don't like any of the selections you can skip that month. I didn't care for any of the May books, so I decided to skip and save my credits for June.


I had two credits available for June and was incredibly pleased to see repeat author Blake Crouch featured. His book Dark Matter is my favorite book I've read in a while and was also a selection I received from Book of the Month (read that review here).

My selection for June was Recursion by Blake Crouch. The BoTM "Quick Take" reads "the tech bro villain we probably deserve." The synopsis is as follows:
Memory makes reality.

That’s what NYC cop Barry Sutton is learning, as he investigates the devastating phenomenon the media has dubbed False Memory Syndrome—a mysterious affliction that drives its victims mad with memories of a life they never lived.

That’s what neuroscientist Helena Smith believes. It’s why she’s dedicated her life to creating a technology that will let us preserve our most precious memories. If she succeeds, anyone will be able to re-experience a first kiss, the birth of a child, the final moment with a dying parent.

As Barry searches for the truth, he comes face to face with an opponent more terrifying than any disease—a force that attacks not just our minds, but the very fabric of the past. And as its effects begin to unmake the world as we know it, only he and Helena, working together, will stand a chance at defeating it.

But how can they make a stand when reality itself is shifting and crumbling all around them?
I'm so excited to get started on this one, I just have a few pages left on my current book before I dig in!

I had a bonus credit so I also chose Miracle Creek by Angie Kim, which was a selection from April. It's about a thriller about a Korean family and a young, single mother accused of murdering her autistic son. I love thrillers/mysteries, and the added depth of being about a Korean family (I was born in South Korea) made this a must-read for me.
Bottom Line: Book of the Month is a book lovers' dream! In my experience, they do an amazing job of selecting books that appeal to a wide range of interests. Plus, you can't beat the price of $14.99 (plus the ability to skip a month)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.