Somme Institute was established in 1994 with the goal of delivering science and formulations that other skin care companies weren't delivering. To ensure that they were creating the best product possible, the Institute teamed up with a group of independent leading research and practicing dermatologists from across the United States. They actually tracked their results with clinical trials that utilized UV technology and lasted for over 7 years on over 5,000 participants.
Their work paid off with the creation of their exclusive patented Molecular Dispersion Technology®, or MDT5®. This system delivers high-potency ingredients directly and deeply into the skin for visual changes in texture, radiance and overall appearance.
Here are all of the products in the 5-Step Regimen, in order from left to right on how you're supposed to use them.
- Nourishing Cleanser (blue dot) - This cleanser is non-foaming, which I really liked. My combination skin tends to get very dry and flaky with foaming cleansers. This one feels a bit creamy and is unscented (or maybe just very lightly scented). It left my skin clean and not dried out at all.
- Transport Pads (purple dot) - The tub is filled with soft cotton pads that are infused with MDT5® and AHA to exfoliate dead cells on the skin's surface, unclog blocked pores, and deliver highly-engineered vitamins thus improving resiliency, hydration, and encouraging cell renewal. They have a light, almost citrus scent. I liked using these because I'm intrigued by anything that can unclog my pores.
- Serum (orange dot) - The serum is exactly that in texture. If you haven't used one before it might be difficult for me to explain the feel of it, but basically it's a liquid that glides onto the skin very smoothly. This serum combines a potent, stabilized form of Vitamin C with a high concentration of MDT5® to strengthen elasticity and smooth the appearance of fine lines. I liked the way this felt on my skin -- a little goes a long way.
- A-Bomb (green dot) - I love the name of this cream, it's so fun. This also contains MDT5®, along with high levels of Vitamins A and E to help soften fine lines and wrinkles. This cream also spreads easily, so I didn't need to use very much.
- Double Defense (SPF 30+) (pink dot) - This moisturizer is the final step, and you can apply it throughout the day as many times as you need to. It's water-resistant with SPF 30+ and Parsol 1789 to help protect skin from premature aging while locking in moisture. It smells a bit like sunscreen.
At first, the thought of a 5-step skincare line brought out the inner laziness in me. I thought, 5 steps?! I don't have the patience to do 5 things every time I want to wash my face! But I am so glad that I gave this a shot. I didn't use any other topical products while using this 5-Step Regimen because I really wanted to see if it changed my skin at all. Now, after using it for two weeks, I'm actually enjoying using each product. I do only use this at night, since I don't wash my face in the morning at all.
I was definitely skeptical when I first started using the Somme 5-Step Regimen. I didn't believe that it would really change my skin at all. I am pleasantly surprised by the results -- after two weeks, my skin is visually clearer and smoother. I had uneven red blotches and dry, flaky skin before, and now my skin feels moisturized and smooth! One small issue I did have with the regimen when I first started using it was that after putting 5 different products on my face, my skin felt dewy and almost sticky to the touch. But once everything is absorbed it really does its job and I'm really impressed by what I've seen so far.
- Visit the Somme Institute website, where you can purchase the 5-Step Regimen
- Connect with them on Facebook and Twitter
Bottom Line: After using the Somme Institute 5-Step Regimen for two weeks, I'm convinced that it works. I'm so excited to continue using the products and see how much better my skin gets after a month and more. They are not an all-natural skincare line, but they are cruelty-free. This regimen is also not cheap -- the entire system retails for $298, and purchasing an individual product will cost you no less than $40. But if you have the money to invest in it, I would highly recommend it.
Check out before and after photos of my skin behind the "Read More."
And here I am after using the regimen for two weeks! My bangs are covering up half of my forehead, but you can just tell from the rest of my face that the skin is visibly clearer and more even. And I promise that it feels so smooth.
*Disclaimer: I received the Somme Institute 5-Step Regimen for free from Somme Institute to facilitate my review. I was not monetarily compensated for this review and the honest opinions here are entirely my own.