Thursday, April 19, 2012

April Conscious Box Review

It's that time of the month again, the time when I tell you how much I loooove Conscious Box!  If you've never heard of this service, it costs $19 a month ($12 for the box, $7 for shipping) to have a box packed full of eco-friendly and socially conscious products delivered to your door.  And it is the greatest box EVER.


The theme for April was "Earth Day," as you can tell from the card on the top.  One thing I like is that each month features a different nature photo on an index card, which I remove and use as decorations in my cube at work.  On the reverse side of the picture is a paragraph or two describing the month's theme.


Opening these boxes each month always brightens up my day.  I check the tracking information every day, and when I know it's been delivered I'm in a weird sort of anticipation all the way home from work.  Maybe it's a little weird to get so excited about a package, but I just really enjoy getting mail and opening up something fun.


This box was the greatest one yet (since December, when I started receiving boxes).  It was packed with stuff--it weighed 1.8 lbs!  Last month's box was pretty much all edible things, so I liked that the products this month spanned a broad range of categories.  I've listed the items and have more up-close photos behind the "read more."




There are some overlaps with the photos, but I'll only list each product once (clockwise from top left):

  • Natural Joy Beauty ColourFusion Lip Glaze - This sample is small, but it will still last for quite a few applications.  The color I received was "Guava" and I think it's gorgeous!
  • Climb On! Intensive Skin Repair - At first I thought this was a cream, but it's actually a solid bar for chafed skin.  I think I'm going to pass it on to my boyfriend for when he plays soccer.  It has a very nice, light scent that I can't quite place.
  • Planet Dishwashing Soap - This is a huge sample!  There is no volume listed though and I'm terrible at estimating, but it's a hefty bottle for being sample-sized.  It's certified biodegradable and cruelty-free...two thumbs up!
  • Team Green Nature Trading Cards - I received a butterfly card and I think these are so cute.  It reminds me of something my dad would have bought for my brother and I when we were younger.  All of their cards have beautiful photography on them, along with facts about the animal featured.


  • Oogie's Gourmet Popcorn - DELICIOUS.  This didn't have a very long lifespan at all, haha.  It's Kettle Corn, but I felt it was more caramel corn.  It's got a caramel glaze over it, whereas I consider kettle corn to be sweet but not glazed.  Either way, it was so yummy!
  • Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel - This is my favorite sample in the box.  I have been wanting to try Juice Beauty for so long, but I never bought any of their products because they're a bit pricey.  This is a .25 fl oz sample, which I think is a pretty good size for a high-quality beauty sample.  I can't wait to try this.
  • Earth Friendly Products Parsley Plus - Another pretty big bottle -- this one is a multisurface cleaner made from parsley.  I actually like the scent, it reminds me of fresh herbs (obviously).  I'm going to take it to work to clean my desk and keyboard, etc.
  • Bare Body Soaps in Patchouli Orange - This was the extra item for the month.  If you post anything on the Conscious Box Facebook wall, they'll include the bonus item in your next box.  I love soaps and I love orange so this one is great.
  • Glob Natural Paint in Lemon Verbena - I'm not sure if I will end up using this, but it's a cute idea. It's an arts and crafts paint made with organic extracts, all you need to do is add water.  Who knows, maybe I'll paint a picture with it :)


  • Earth Friendly Products Parsley Plus - see above
  • Cloud 6 Raw Chocolate Fudge - I've tried raw chocolate before and I don't care for it too much.  It's usually too bitter for my tastes, so I might give this to someone else to try.  I love the packaging, though.
  • SeedBallz - Oh my goodness, I think these are fantastic!  The bag is adorable, and I love cute things.  At first I thought these were like the Soap Nuts I got in my last Eco-Emi box (laundry detergent, basically), but they're actually plantable clay balls filled with seeds, made by people with developmental disabilities.  I'm curious to see what kind of plants sprout from them.
  • Clandestino - This is a unique kind of energy bar; it's a banana covered in chocolate.  I tried it today and I'm still not sure whether or not I liked it.  I'm not the biggest fan of bananas, so that's probably why.  But I bet that someone who liked banana flavor would love this.
  • The Original Himalayan Crystal Salt - Pretty straight forward here, a package of salt.  I'll use this to salt my pasta water.


  • generationMe Laundry Detergent - If you've followed my blog for a little while, this might look familiar.  I did a review for generationMe back in February, and I really like this natural detergent.
  • Sparklehearts Soft Conditioner - I've reviewed Sparklehearts before, too, but not their conditioner. I haven't used this yet but I'm a big fan of their 100% natural and cruelty free products.
  • Groovy Planet - Groovy Planet is a monthly subscription service that sends out products to teach kids about fair trade and recycling, which I think is awesome.  Inside of this package is a little "worry doll," which you whisper your worries too and place under your pillow.  They're part of a legend from Guatemala, and are made by women there who use the money to build and support schools in their communities.
Bottom Line: I can't say enough about Conscious Box.  I say it every month, but I LOVE THIS SERVICE! I've never been disappointed by a box.  I temporarily cancelled my subscription in order to change the date on which I'm billed, but I'm going to re-subscribe for May's box.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Danielle,

    We at Climb On! are glad you got a chance to see our Climb On! Bar in the April Conscious Box. Did your boyfriend enjoy the CO! Bar?

    In addition to the CO! Bar with have a creme, sunscreen and bug spray among other wonderful products!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he did enjoy using the bar! I actually saw him this past weekend (we are long-distance at the moment) and asked him about it, and he said he'd been using it after going running and really liked it.

      I'll have to look into your bug spray, I get eaten alive by mosquitoes during the summertime.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.