Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Birchbox Build Your Own Hair Travel Set Review

I was never much into hair care until recently, and now I'm a little bit obsessed with trying new brands and products. The Build Your Own Hair Travel Set from Birchbox was the perfect thing for me to use my Birchbox points on!

*Disclaimer: This box was purchased by See, Shop, Love!



This kit is fun because you get to choose the items you want. Pick one of each from shampoo, conditioner, and styling product. Each order will also receive two Oribe samples and a giant comb from Number 4 Hair Care.

The kit costs $35, which I think it is too expensive. Even though there are some great products to choose from, I just feel like this should be more like $25, or $30 at most. But more on that later.

I mainly wanted this because I love Oribe products and I knew I liked both the Dry Texturizing Spray and the Supershine Nourishing Cream. They also had some really great brands to choose from for the shampoo, conditioner, and styling product: amika, Living proof, Beauty Protector, and more. Here's what I ended up picking:
  • Davines MINU Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair: I love Davines's products and this is one I haven't tried. It's also perfect for me because I have highlighted hair and have been looking for a good color protecting shampoo. This has a really light scent, like all of Davines's shampoos, and is a pretty big sample size.
  • Davines MINU Conditioner for Color-Treated Hair: I picked this to go along with the shampoo, obviously, but the reason I chose Davines over the other brand I was considering (the bumble & bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil set) was because the sample sizes were much bigger. This tub is a great size.
  • Ouai Texturizing Hair Spray - I really liked the Ouai sample I got in my Play! box so I wanted to try this out. It's a pretty decent product, but my only complaint is that it sprays out of the bottle with a lot of force.
  • Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray - This is a holy grail product for me for sure! I absolutely love the texture it gives my hair because it doesn't leave it looking or feeling crunchy. It also smells great.
  • Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream - I also really love this cream; I use it on my hair in conjunction with the Oribe Creme for Style and it gives my hair great shine and moisture!
  • Number Four Hair Care Super Detangling Comb - This comb is so funny to me because it's enormous. It's hard to tell based on the photos, but it's like six or so inches long and about two wide. I haven't used it yet but it has good reviews on the Birchbox site.

Overall I liked this kit and I was glad I could snag it for $17 after using my Birchbox points. As I said earlier, though, I definitely wouldn't pay $35 for it. The products are from high quality brands, but I just don't feel that combined this is "worth" that price to me. I don't know. I guess I can't really explain why I feel that way, but if you don't mind the price tag this is a great way to try new hair care products!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.