Friday, May 1, 2020

April 2020 Book of the Month Review and Coupon

Ah, this review is late, but time is weird now. I'm sure you'll all forgive me. Anyway, I was hesitant about the April Book of the Month selections at first, but upon further inspection, I decided to choose a title instead of skipping the month, and I'm glad I did.

*Disclaimer: This box was purchased by See, Shop, Love! Post contains referral links.


Book of the Month costs $14.99 for a new, hardcover title. You'll be able to choose from five books that have been selected by the BoTM staff and range in genre from thrillers to romance to non-fiction. You can also add on any past titles for only $9.99 per book.

If you don't see a title that catches your fancy, you can always skip that month and your credit will roll over the following month (and you won't be charged again the following month).


I read at about a book a month pace, so I love this subscription. I'm always very excited to see what selections are available at the beginning of the month!

At first, none of the April titles really stood out to me and I almost skipped. But then I looked up each title and read a bit deeper into their synopses and settled on The Library of Legends by Janie Chang.

China, 1937. When Japanese bombs begin falling on the city of Nanking, nineteen-year-old Hu Lian and her classmates at Minghua University are ordered to flee. Lian and a convoy of students, faculty and staff must walk 1,000 miles to the safety of China’s western provinces, a journey marred by the constant threat of aerial attack. And it is not just the refugees who are at risk; Lian and her classmates have been entrusted with a priceless treasure: a 500-year-old collection of myths and folklore known as the Library of Legends.

The students’ common duty to safeguard the Library of Legends creates unexpected bonds. Lian becomes friends and forms a cautious romance with the handsome and wealthy Liu Shaoming. But after one classmate is arrested and another one is murdered, Lian realizes she must escape before a family secret puts her in danger too. Accompanied by Shao and his enigmatic maidservant, Sparrow, Lian makes her way to Shanghai in the hopes of reuniting with her mother.

During the journey, Lian learns of the connection between her two companions and a tale from the Library of Legends, The Willow Star and the Prince. This revelation comes with profound consequences, for as the ancient books travel across China, they awaken immortals and guardian spirits who embark on an exodus of their own, one that will change the country’s fate forever.

I'm so glad I picked this book! It's beautiful story that weaves traditional Chinese folklore into historically significant events. Although I'm Korean and not Chinese, I enjoy reading about Asian history and this is the perfect blend of history and fiction.
Bottom Line: Book of the Month is a great subscription for readers! They always have the newest, most talked about books and I've gotten some great titles. You can't beat the price of $14.99 for a brand new hardcover, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.