Monday, July 9, 2012

June Julep Maven Mystery Box Review

I recently bought my first Julep Maven Mystery Box, and it seemed like everyone was getting theirs before me.  I was getting really worried, because I was checking other peoples' unboxing posts and I wasn't impressed by what they received.  The boxes cost $20 and Julep promises you'll receive at least $60 worth of merchandise.  But their items are a bit overpriced in my opinion, so $60 could mean you get only 4 bottles of nail polish (they retail for $14 each).


Aside from the box taking forever to get to me (it shipped from Washington state, I'm in New York), I was really happy with it.  I lucked out, I got a bunch of merchandise and I really like most of it!  When I plucked it out of my mailbox, I instantly knew that I was getting more than a few nail polishes because it felt pretty heavy.  Here's what was inside:

  • Nail Lacquer in Amy - $14
  • Nail Lacquer in Megan - $14
  • Nail Lacquer in Alyson - $14
  • Nail Lacquer in Sienna - $14
  • Fast Dry Top Coat - $14
  • Julep Basecoat - $14
  • Julep Nail Growth Revitalizing Serum - $38
  • The Best Pedi Creme Ever - $22
  • Pomegranate Body Creme - $18
  • Pomegranate Body Scrub - $18

So I paid $20 and received $180 worth of product.  HOLY, mother.  I didn't even realize the total retail value of this box until I added it all up just now!  And I forgot to include the Nail Growth Revitalizing Serum in the photos here, but I promise I did actually get one.  I'm kind of blown away by the prices of some of these items, though, because honestly I don't feel that the quality reflects the high price.  The Pomegranate scrub and creme are nice, but they remind me of those off-brand ones you might find at the dollar store!  In all seriousness, they smell extremely artificial and I definitely wouldn't buy them on my own.  The Pedi Creme is interesting, but it's a small bottle and I wouldn't pay $22 for it.  I haven't used the Nail serum enough yet to make any sort of comment on whether or not it works, but for $38 I hope it does some good!

L to R: Basecoat, Topcoat, Megan, Amy, Alyson, Sienna

I was most excited about all of the polishes I got, because that's the main reason why I was interested in the box.  The other products are just bonuses to me.  I was in need for a new top and base coat, so those were great.  Aside from Alyson, I really love the other colors.  Julep's formula is not my favorite, their creams are kind of streaky in my opinion, but Sienna went on really well.

Bottom Line: Would I buy any of these products individually?  Probably not.  Would I buy another Mystery Box for $20?  Probably yes.  I know not all boxes will be like this, but hey, it was fun to be surprised!  Want one for yourself?  Julep releases them every once in a while, visit their website and sign up for their email list to be updated (that's how I found out about this one).

Photos of the other products are after the cut.






*Disclaimer: I purchased this box with my own money and was not asked to review it nor was I compensated for this review. The honest opinions here are entirely my own.

10 comments:

  1. So jealous! I haven't gotten a good mystery box yet from them, but every time I see a post like this it encourages me to buy another mystery box :)

    Liz @ http://subscriptionaddiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty surprised that I got so much stuff, especially since everyone else's I looked at was kind of underwhelming. I hope that you get a great one next time, though! I'm also off to check out your blog, I love looking at other peoples' unboxing posts.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. All of the polishes were really fun to play with!

      Delete
  3. Holy crap! How often does Julep do mystery boxes? I've only ever heard of them doing regular subscription boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure exactly, but I think the last one before this one was in March, so probably every 3-4 months. If you sign up for their email list they'll send you a notification of when they release the next one.

      Delete
  4. Holy crap, that was an awesome buy for $20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it, I was so happy that I snagged a box with so much stuff in it!

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a deal! All of those colors look really nice too. Great score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe I got as much as I did!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.