Sunday, May 21, 2017

May Chicago Cubs Sports Crate Review

When I first found out that Sports Crate was launching I knew I had to sign up! I don't think I've ever been more excited for a subscription box. There are other sports boxes out there, but this one caught my eye because it was officially licensed by MLB. I signed up for the Chicago Cubs Season Pass and not-so-patiently awaited my first crate.

*Disclaimer: This box was purchased by See, Shop, Love!


Sports Crate is the newest member of the Loot Crate family and is currently available for 10 MLB teams: Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Dodgers, New York Mets, New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals (boo), San Francisco Giants, and the Texas Rangers.

Crates cost $39.99 per month and currently ship only to the U.S. I purchased the Season Pass (all five boxes from May to September) for $179.99. The Season Pass option is only available for May, so sign up before the end of the month if you want that option. If you sign up for a monthly subscription you'll be charged on the 10th of each month. Subscriptions do not automatically renew at the end of the season.

Each box will contain 5-7 officially licensed, team-specific items valued at $80+ that are exclusive to Sports Crate. They can be anything from gear to collectibles, and more. There will also be a different theme for each month.


I did not receive a shipment notification for this box which was a real bummer for someone has impatient as me. I was aware that Sports Crate was going to ship the first box in the third week of May, though, so I kept an eye on their social media accounts and saw that people started to receive their Crates around the end of that week. Sports Crate stated that boxes shipped on Monday the 15th and I received mine on Thursday, so that's pretty quick shipping. I just like to have a tracking number because I have had boxes not get delivered to me in the past and I prefer to be able to track the shipping.

But anyway, once I got my box I couldn't wait to tear it open! May's theme was "Bringin' the Heat" and featured pitchers. There were five items inside, plus a one month subscription to MLB.TV (this came in the May box only). I already have an MLB.TV subscription, but it's definitely a nice addition for those who don't.


The item I was most excited for was the t-shirt. I spend way too much money on Cubs clothing so I hoped that I'd get some good shirts in these boxes. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with this Bringin' the Heat T-Shirt shirt because I don't love the design. Yes, the Cubs colors are red, white, and blue, but I would have preferred a white shirt or blue shirt instead of predominantly red. It's just a little too bright for me. The design of the shirt is a three-quarter length sleeve with moisture wicking fabric and it's cut similar to a jersey in style and length. It also has a pitcher's mitt design in the background. I will definitely wear this to the ballpark but probably not anywhere else.


Sports Crate released spoilers for each team that included which pitcher would be featured on the collectible action figure, so I knew Jon Lester was coming with this box. These action figures are the main reason I subscribed and I'm curious to see what players they include in the next boxes (if there is no Anthony Rizzo I'll be pretty sad, to be honest!).
  • Bringin' the Heat Pin: I've already attached this pin to the bag I take with me to work every day. It's inspired by "flame throwing pitchers" and is an appropriate design for this month's theme.
  • Jon Lester Action Figure: So apparently these action figures are called BALLERS and they have SportsFlex posable technology with 21 points of articulation. Basically, you can bend him into pretty much whatever pose you want. I think they're really nice and unique. I would have preferred Kyle Hendricks because he is my fave, but Lester is obviously the ace of the rotation so I understand why he was featured. See the photo at the end of the post to see what the figure looks like out of the box.
  • Jon Lester Topps Trading Card: I'm 28 years old but I still like collecting baseball cards. Each box will feature a limited edition Topps card and I'm assuming they will be the same player as the BALLERS figure.

This isn't listed on the info card (also pictured above), but I'm assuming it's an extra item SportsCrate threw in for fun. I saw it in some other peoples' unboxing videos so I think everyone got one. At first I thought it was a fanny pack because of the way it was folded in the box, but it's a SportsCrate Cooler. There was a card inserted in the front that said it was for keeping your drinks cool during the game. I also like that the info card is designed to look like a ticket.


Last up is the Miguel Montero Cornhole Game. This is a really fun and creative item to go with the pitchers theme, since obviously the catcher is an important part of the pitcher/catcher team. I have to be pedantic and point out that Lester throws to Willson Contreras, but I'm not holding that against Sports Crate. Regardless, corn hole is a favorite with my family so I'm going to take this mini version to the next get-together and I'm sure it'll be a hit.

Jon Lester BALLERS Action Figure

Miggy Montero Corn Hole Game
One last thing I want to mention about Sports Crate is that each month someone will receive a Golden Ticket that is good for a special VIP experience (like a player meet-and-greet, on field experience, or more). Those who sign up for the Season Pass will double their chances to win a Golden Ticket, which was also another great motivator for me to pick the Season Pass. If I get a Golden Ticket I'll probably lose my mind, sob like a baby, and then need to lie supine on the floor for a bit to calm down!
Bottom Line: I think the May Chicago Cubs SportsCrate was a lot of fun and had some interesting items. The BALLERS action figure was my favorite and I like that it comes with a matching Topps card. The corn hole game was also fun and unique. I'm very excited to see what's in store for the rest of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.