Thursday, February 23, 2012

February Cravebox Review

In a strange turn of events, a February Cravebox showed up at my door yesterday.  Why strange?  Because I cancelled my subscription after the January box.  I hadn't planned on cancelling, but after re-evaluating my expenses I realized I should probably cull some of my spending, and Cravebox lost out over Eco-Emi and Conscious Box.

Anyway, I cancelled before the date I was supposed to be charged for the February box (Cravebox charges your card at the time they ship the boxes), and I never ended up being charged.  But yet, here I am with a box!  I emailed their support team to let them know, but I haven't gotten a response so I figured I would go ahead and write up a review, and they can charge me the $10 when they respond to my email.


Here are the contents of this month's box.  A quick overview of Cravebox, for those who aren't familiar with it: they are a monthly subscription service that costs $10 a month.  They are currently in beta and not accepting new subscriptions, but you can sign up to be on the wait list at their website (linked at the end of this entry).
  • Amore Pacific Duo - One is the Treatment Cleansing Foam, the other is the Moisture Bound Skin Energy Hydration Delivery System.  These are my favorite items in the box.
  • thinkThin Crunch Bars - Creamy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Dipped Mixed Nuts
  • EBOOST - Orange flavored daily health booster, three packets
  • BiC Mark-It Markers - six fine-point markers
  • Downy Wrinkle Releaser
Overall, I am just not feeling the Crave.  I don't "crave" any of these items.  The issues I had with January's box are the same as this month: aside from the Amore Pacific duo, all of these things are available at the grocery store.  I like the other services that I'm subscribed to because they send me items each month that aren't readily available to me, and introduce me to new brands.  My least favorite items in this box are the EBOOST packets.  They sent Emergen-C last time, which I dislike, and EBOOST is no better.  I got it once in a Birchbox and I don't like the flavor.  I just don't like those types of drink mixes in general.  The markers are just...markers.  Really, BiC markers?  They sent some in the December box, too.  And the thinkThin bars are okay, I'll eat them, but peanut butter isn't my favorite and I don't really need to "think thin" at the moment. Oh and the Downy wrinkle releaser is not something I need nor will use.


I was beginning to think I was just crazy, because everyone seems to be raving about Cravebox.  They're saying that they love the items and think they're high quality, but I just don't agree.  I'm glad that the majority of Cravebox subscribers seem to be really loving the service, and I cancelled my subscription so that hopefully a slot will be opened up for someone who can truly enjoy it.

One thing that upset me was that there seems to be a slight bit of negativity floating around the Cravebox Facebook page.  One woman in particular is going around writing rude things on peoples' posts -- for example, someone suggested, very politely may I add, that Cravebox feature more beauty products and makeup.  The woman replied, "Then you should subscribe to Birchbox."  Unnecessary!  When I posted on their wall to ask a question about my cancellation, she basically told me I was pathetic because I couldn't afford the $10.  It's not that I don't have a spare $10 lying around, it's that I would rather spend it elsewhere.  Geez.  If you're curious, you can view the post here.  I also feel like any constructive criticism that anyone leaves, or anyone who says they aren't pleased with the box, is attacked by members who do like the box.  Hey, I realize that everyone has different opinions, but please don't be rude to me for expressing mine.

  • Learn more about Cravebox at their site, and sign up for the wait list here
  • Connect with them on Facebook and Twitter

Bottom Line: Between the negativity within the Cravebox community and the lower quality products, I won't miss my Cravebox subscription.  But if you like what you see, I encourage you to join their wait list and hopefully you'll be able to grab a slot!

More photos of the items behind the cut.





12 comments:

  1. As always we appreciate your honesty and post. We are sorry you experienced negativity on our facebook page. We did see it and wrote to you that we appreciate your feedback and more than understand budget concerns. We hope you still participate with us on Twitter. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, sorry you had a bad experience with cravebox. I didn't receive a cravebox for Feb and I don't know if I will continue to or not, I love the mereadesso items I received in the 2 boxes I got. You should have a giveaway for all of the items you don't use or like. I bet a lot of people would enter and it would help you de-clutter lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for replying so late, I didn't have the reply option available on this blog back in Feb, but I hope you ended up getting your box!

      Delete
  3. I don't care for ThinkThin bars, but I've only tried peanut ones too. I'll need to try a few others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they aren't the best I've ever had. I feel like they have a weird aftertaste or something.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that was an unnecessary comment she wrote! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I couldn't really wrap my head around why anyone would do that. She spammed some other peoples' posts, too, so I think she was just bored. But you're welcome, and thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Thanks, that was a nice, honest and succinct review on your Cravebox!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing some research about these different sample subscription boxes, trying to decide if or which one I want to join. Your comments about Cravebox have made my decision about it and it's a resounding NO!! I understand you are not bad mouthing them and are only giving honest feedback about their program. But the Facebook comments you mentioned are unacceptable in my book. And the products just aren't my "cup of tea" so to speak. From what I've read there are many other programs like this to choose from that would suit me better. Thank you for the honest feedback about your experience. You've been extremely helpful to this first timer. Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you found my reviews helpful. The Facebook comment was just one particular user who had too much time on her hands (in my opinion), not a reflection of the actual company. But I agree with you, the products are just too generic for me. I want to get a subscription with fun things I can't find every day, not things I can get at the grocery store.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.