Sunday, February 19, 2012

Somme Institute Boost and Eye Review

A few weeks ago I wrote up a review for the Somme Institute 5-Step Regimen, which you can read here.  Today I'm back with more!  This time I'm reviewing the Boost Gentle Warming Mask and Eye Control Release MDT5 Eye Cream.



The kind people at Somme Institute offered these products for review after I had used the 5-Step Regimen for a few weeks, since these are additions to that regimen.  I immediately fell in love with Boost because it's pumpkin spice scented!  It has the consistency of marshmallow fluff, which might sound unappealing, but while it is sticky, it works.  You also don't need to use a lot since it's so thick.  The mask purifies, exfoliates, and nourishes skin while increasing blood circulation, and is used after step one (cleanser) in the regimen.


When I first used Boost, I noticed a slight tingling feeling.  The warming sensation increases blood circulation, which supports and nourishes healthy skin cells, and also prepares the skin to receive the benefits of MDT5 technology.  I left the mask on for the instructed 5 minutes, but to be honest I wanted to leave it on longer because it smelled so good!  I felt that my skin was soft and rejuvenated after using it.  Here is some more information on the ingredients in the mask, from the literature that Somme Institute sent me:
  • Zeolite - a natural mineral that warms the skin and opens the pores, enabling Kaolin to aptly absorb excess oil, dirt, and impurities.  Attracts and traps toxins and balances cellular pH levels so that foreign cells (free radicals) can't surivive.
  • Natural Pumpkin Enzymes - increase cellular regeneration, helping to smooth the skin without harsh abrasives by digesting the dead skin cells
  • Vitamin E - helps nourish and moisturize the skin.  A known antioxidant, it reduces fine lines and wrinkles and strengthens skin's barrier function.  It also provides healing properties to the skin.
  • Kaolin - a natural clay, helps absorb oil and remove impurities from the skin.  It contains soothing and protecting properties.  Absorbs impurities and stimulates elasticity of the skin in a gentle way.
  • B Vitamins - assist in nourishing and conditioning skin
The Boost mask is available in a 3 oz. tube with a suggested retail price of $40.  It is available at select spas nationwide, including all SPA Nordstrom locations.


Eye was an interesting product to try, because to be honest, I don't really feel that I need an eye cream.  I had been using Revitaleyes by Envy before, but only because I had won it in a giveaway.  I don't have any wrinkles around my eyes (yet!), but I figure some preventative care couldn't hurt.

Eye was specifically created to be used on the delicate skin around your eyes, and is to be applied at the end of the 5-Step Regimen.  It offers benefits including brightening undereye circles, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and alleviating puffiness and discolorations.  Like all Somme Institute products, it contains their MDT5 technology.  I used this, along with Boost, for about a week before writing up this review.  I haven't noticed anything different about my eye area, but then again there wasn't much I was looking at for.  The only thing I didn't like about the product is that it's an air pump bottle, and it squirts out more than is necessary for one use.  I can't unscrew the top to put the excess back in the bottle, either.

Here is more information on the Eye ingredients, which is available in a .5 oz bottle and retails for $72:

  • Spirulina Extract - helps eliminate lymphatic fluid and other stressors from under the eye area to assist in the reduction of puffiness
  • Hydrolyzed Rice Brand Extract with Soy Peptides - have been clinically proven to build collagen, which increases the density of the dermal matrix of the thin, delicate skin surrounding the eyes
  • Extracts of Ylang Ylang, Jasmine, Geranium, Lavender, Marigold, and Galbanum - sooth, soften, and nourish the skin
  • Delivers intense hydration and moisture, repairs sun damage, smooths fine lines, wrinkles, and crepeiness, increases skin elasticity, reduces puffiness and dark circles.
Bottom Line: I really like Boost, and I think that Eye is a great product for me to be using for preventative care.  These products, along with with the 5-Step Regimen, are pricey, but I think they are worth the splurge if you can afford it.  I've been very happy with the results to my skin so far.
  • Visit the Somme Institute Skincare website, where you can purchase Boost and Eye
  • Connect with them on Facebook and Twitter

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.