Saturday, February 28, 2015

My Non-GMO Box Review & 20% Off

I love food and I love to snack.  I've always been a grazer: I don't eat a lot of any one thing, but I do like to eat a lot of things.  Recently, the use of GMOs in food has come under criticism, and I like to buy non-GMO snacks whenever possible.  My Non-GMO Box now makes it easy for everyone to access these types of foods!

*Disclaimer: This box was purchased by See, Shop, Love!


Currently this box is a one-time purchase, but they do have plans to start a subscription in the future.  The box costs $14.99 and shipping is included.  It appears that they are shipping to the United States and Canada, based off of the order page.  I'm not sure if there is an extra shipping charge for Canadian addresses.


The first collection features six products, all of which are verified by the Non-GMO Project.  The Non-GMO Project is North America's only third-party verification and labeling entity for non-GMO products.  They are a non-profit 501(c)3 organization.

Why do GMOs matter?  That's up to you to decide, but GMO stands for "genetically modified organisms," which means a living organism whose genetic material has been artificially manipulated through genetic engineering.  While I do understand some of the impetus behind using GMOs (for example, modifying livestock so that they can produce a higher yield for impoverished communities), I choose to purchase non-GMO foods when I can.  You can learn more about GMOs and the Non-GMO Project at their website, which I've linked in the paragraph above.


But back to the box!  Like I said, this box makes non-GMO verified foods easily accessible for those who may not have a wide variety of them available in their local stores.  Although I can usually find a pretty big selection at Wegmans (the best grocery store ever), I'm always interested in finding new favorites!  Here's what was inside:
  • Beanfields Bean and Rice Chips in Nacho - I love Beanfields chips!  They have a really good crunch and are incredibly savory.  They're made from beans and rice, so they are gluten-free as well.
  • Tasty Brand Organic Wild Berry Fruit Snacks - All of Tasty Brand's snacks are made with certified USDA organic ingredients.  They're chewier than "regular" fruit snacks that most people are probably used to, so I suspected they were made with carrageenan, but the first ingredient is actually organic tapioca syrup!  I liked these a lot, though; they had a lot of flavor.
  • Nature's Path Dark Chocolate Chip Chewy Granola Bar - I'm a big fan of Nature's Path's Love Crunch granola, so I'm sure that this is great as well.  It's also gluten-free and and made with fair-trade certified dark chocolate.
  • Two Leaves and a Bud Tea Company Tea Sampler - Most boxes with natural/organic foods are going to have a sample of tea at some point.  Luckily I'm a big tea drinker.  This pack has one sachet each of their Organic Assam and Organic Better Rest Blend teas.  They're certified USDA organic and kosher.
  • Wild Friends All-Natural Honey Sunflower Butter - This is sweetened with USDA organic honey and is dairy-free.  I love the little chipmunk on the front, it's so cute!  I've never had sunflower butter before, so I'm curious to see how this tastes.
  • Heavenly Organics Honey Pattie Chocolate Mint - This is made with raw organic white Himalayan honey and are gluten- and dairy-free.  Aside from honey, it has only two other ingredients: organic Italian dark chocolate liquor, and peppermint oil.  I thought it was delicious!
Bottom Line: I like what My Non-GMO Box has put together so far and I would definitely consider subscribing when they launch as a full-on subscription.  For now, you can purchase this box at their website as a one-time purchase, so you don't have to worry about canceling or being billed again.  You can also purchase full-sized versions of each item at their shop section.

What do you think of My Non-GMO Box?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I love any and all feedback and I read every comment.